Tuesday 22 February 2011

Top Ten Tuesday

I have actually been excited about this weeks top ten for quite a long time (longer than it would perhaps be prudent for me to admit...), mainly because I thought 'Hey! The Broke and the Bookish are doing a top ten tuesday almost specifically for my blog, because I write about books AND movies!' Alas, it wasn't too long before I realised that this is Oscar week... but that still doesn't dampen my enthusiasm for this week's list!

Top Ten Book to Movie Adaptations

1. Fight Club- It's just so awesome. I saw the film before I read the book (the blasphemy!) but when I did finally get round to reading it I was really surprised (and pleased) at how similar the two were. When a book is that good, you just don't want to change it all that much!

2. Lord of the Rings- Because, ok, the books are pretty awesome, but the films are similarly amazing AND they missed out like all the bloody songs (which, in the end, I had to start skipping in the books anyway, or I would have gone completely insane). Also, Aragorn was about a thousand times hotter than any man I could have imagined, and may have accidentally set off my beard obsession...

3. True Blood- I know, it's a TV programme, but HBO series are more like really really long films anyway. Also, this programme is so spectacularly better than the books that it really deserves its place on my list. 

4. Angels in America- I guess, since Angels in America is a play, this shouldn't really count because it was always intended to be performed. Nonetheless, I just love the play and the mini-series so much that I can basically put it into any list ever. And this definitely counts. You can check out my review of the play here

5. Gone With the Wind- I know that the film misses out lots of things (extra children, stuff like that) but I saw it before I read the book, and I just love it so very very much. It also hold special Christmastime memories for me, whereas the book has memories of the gorgeous summer afternoons where I read it in the garden. Basically, they're both just the greatest (racism and love of slavery aside, of course).

6. Chocolat- Any film with Johnny Depp in is pretty much going to be a winner for me. This, however, I love in spite of Johnny (since he's only in it for about 17 minutes in total). It's just so sweet (haha) and lovely, and makes me want to be a chocolatier in the french countryside. The book has much the same effect on me.

7. Tess of the D'Urbervilles- I normally avoid BBC costume dramas like the plague, because I just can't deal with them! Nonetheless, I decided it would be a good idea to watch Tess, and it really was. I was so unbelievably moved by this that I wanted to jump inside the screen and save Tess really badly. It was also doubly good, since it made me return to a book that I had read far too young to understand it, and I really really loved it the second time around.

8. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest- So faithful to the book (which is completely amazing, see here) but with the added bonus of the inspired casting of Jack Nicholson as McMurphy. Find me a better actor for that role, and I'll drop down dead, because Nicholson is completely perfect, as he so often is (see here, for instance). Heartbreakingly wonderful.

9. The Green Mile- Another sobfest that, doesn't necessarily go as deep as the book, but definitely still has the same emotional depths, and made me cry equal amounts. A really great cast (Tom Hanks could be in everything if I was a casting director) and still a spectacular story.

10. Brokeback Mountain- The short story is good, but the film just takes the book and runs with it, across mountains and rivers, and takes risks where the story doesn't. Having said that, however, it still does stick really closely to the book, and doesn't take too many liberties with it. The casting here is also inspired, and I can't watch it without sighing and considering all the great things we could have seen from Heath Ledger, since he was capable of so much. (You can find my review of the film here.)

So, that's my top ten. Do you have any book to movie adaptations that you love? Or, on a similar note, ones you can't stand? (I, for one, can't deal with the Harry Potter films, although I know that's an unpopular thing to say!) Let me know in the comments, I'd love to hear from you!

18 comments:

  1. I forgot to put The Green Mile on my list, that was a great movie and book!

    Hope you'll have a great day

    Come by my blog anytime

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am almost always disappointed by movies made from good books. I won't go near Wrinkle in Time. Love your list.

    Here's my post: http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2011/02/top-ten-book-to-movie-adaptations.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see the Lord of the Rings movies as separate entities from the books. To me, it's more like Peter Jackson and Tolkien were telling the same story in different ways rather than Jackson adapting or interpreting Tolkien's tale. (I hope I am getting this across clearly). I even envision the characters differently (except Sam will hereafter be Sean Astin when I read the books).

    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is one I really should read (and watch).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with 1, 2, 6, 8 and 10. I really want to watch Tess of the D'Urbervilles. I love BBC adaptations of classics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Bibliophile- I definitely know what you mean! They are very different, but sort of equally as amazing (except for the songs in the books-they actually stopped a friend of mine from reading LOTR!) One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is completely amazing- the film does pretty much represent the book though, so if you want to save time you could just watch it hehe!

    @Misha- Ooh, we're very compatible then aren't we hehe. Tess was really amazing, and I don't even usually watch BBC adaptations! So you know it's gotta be good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terrible admission - I can never read or watch Tess, I just don't think I could bear it. The unfairness of it all!!!! Am a bad reader :) Oh I can't believe I missed out Lord of the Rings! I've never been able to read them all the way through - I get stuck at stupid Tom Bombadil - but I could watch the films endlessly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yeah, Tess is undoubtedly the most unfair story in the world ever- so unbelievably sad! 'oh, you've been raped, well, deal with it yourself, bet you led him on slaaag' etc-her mum is so freaking useless!
    Tom Bombadil is pretty pointless- I would encourage skipping him if you're ever brave enough to start reading LOTR again lol- The songs, AAARGH!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cannot believe that I didn't put Chocolat on my list!! *facepalm* I've seen that movie like 100 times. Roux is such a great character. And I love the scene where Pere Henri is gardening and busting out the Elvis moves to Hound Dog.

    I have a weakness for costume dramas. Okay, an addiction. So part of me rejoices whenever someone else succumbs to them. Is that evil of me? (No wonder I like Alan Rickman.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that bit too! Pere Henri is so awesome! I don't think it's evil to enjoy someone else's watching costume dramas- Tess still didn't convert me, so I still win! (something... I'm not sure what I'm winning here to be honest!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just LOVE your header and the typewriter...I am a business teacher and typing is near and dear to my heart. :)

    Stop by blog if you like for a Book Blog Giveaway. One more day left for the giveaway.

    ...28 blogs participating blogs.

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com/

    Blog hosted by Judith of

    http://leeswammes.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a huge fan of True Blood the series but have not read any of Charlaine Harris' books yet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think True Blood S1 is a great adaptation but I have to admit, S2&3 have really disappointed me! I have high, high hopes for S4 though. I really hope they do that one justice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gone with the Wind, both movie and book, are included in my all time favorites lists...so much so that I've never read nor plan to see any of the sequels.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay! Somebody else with True Blood! I know Its a TV series but it is awesome! One of my absolute favs. And who doesn't love LOTR Right? Great Picks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha! True Blood! I'm also a devoted fan, but only half way through the books though. I must admit I am not crazy about Sookie (in the HBO series or the books) but love the story nonetheless! Thanks for stopping by blog, I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the Pride and Prejudice adaptation with Colin Firth!!!! It's one of my favorites, along with True Blood. ;)

    Kristi
    www.kristichestnutt.blogspot.com
    www.booKrushed.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Elizabeth- thank you so much! I got them from Shabby Blogs, after not having a clue what I was doing for like a month hehe.

    @basically everyone- True Blood actually rules my world! Eric is my favourite, because Oh my GOD, have you seen him?! But I do like Sookie too :)

    @1girl2manybooks- Seasons 2 and 3 haven't exactly been faithful adaptations, I agree, but I kind of thought they were better than the books they were based on... But I do have a crazy Alan Ball obsession, so I should probably be ignored lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. Completely agree about True Blood. The TV series is so much better than the book, especially with the awesome cast!

    ReplyDelete