Thursday 16 May 2013

Bout of Books: DAY FOUR

Bout of Books
Bout of Book-ers! (And, everyone else). Hello! I am still alive, despite the fact that I haven't readalongly updated for over 30 hours (shut up, I know you missed me)- I meant to update last night before Mad Men but I watched it an hour earlier than I'd anticipated and then I just crawled into bed. And slept FOREVER, and was still tired when I woke up. Sigh.

Anyway. It's today now! (Technically, it's this evening now) and I don't have much to report on the reading front, but that's only because I spent my morning book shopping, which I think we can all agree is a legitimate activity. And because it has to do with books, that makes it a legitimate readalong activity too, right? So let's talk about what I bought!
So! I got a Rough Guide to Japan because I'm optimistic and also Oxfam were doing a buy one, get one free promotion on books, annnnd that was my free book. 
Above that, is The True Deceiver by Tove Jansson who, you probably don't know, is the lady behind The Moomins, but she's also written a load of adult books that I have not at all read but you know, I want to start! 
My other Oxfam book was Blindness by Jose Saramago, which I want to say... Megs? read probably ages ago, and I pretty much forgot about it until I saw it today and I was like yes, yes I will buy you. So yeah.
The other three I also got as a '3 for £5' dealie. Of these, The End of Mr Y by Scarlett Thomas was the most wildcard-ish, and I nearly bought The Post-Birthday World by Lionel Shriver until I saw this and remembered that Bex and Hanna both LOVE Thomas, so I was like, yeah, ok.
And THEN I still nearly bought the Shriver book, but I saw The Keep by Jennifer Egan, and... I genuinely like Egan, as opposed to vaguely disliking Shriver, and the back involved A CASTLE and also ADDICTION TO A WIFI CONNECTION, and so I obviously had to have it instead.
AND (I know) finally I got Love and Friendship by Jane Austen, which, as I understand it, is a collection of her really early writing and juvenilia and I kind of didn't know it existed, so obviously I needed it. Oh yes. 

And that was my morning, in book form! I did read maybe 20 pages of Kitchen with my lunch (haha!) but that's kind of it for today, so far (and I have to write about Harry Potter later tonight, so... there goes the rest of my evening!) but, you know, oh well! I'll make up for it this weekend. Perhaps.

Pages Read: 469
Books Read From: 4
Books Finished: 1 (still just the one!)
Snacks: Yeah, I'm still not really doing that. *shrugs*
Blogs Visited: Remember that sleeping thing? That was what I was doing. But I'm still at least trying to keep up with my book ladies!

8 comments:

  1. The End of Mr Y is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, goody! The book is really really cool looking, so yay!

      Delete
  2. Yay for the book shopping! I'm a teeny bit jealous :-)

    I think Thursday was a sleepy day for a lot of people. That's what I've been seeing through my commenting this morning anyways. Soooo hopefully we're all well-rested enough to kick ass and read a lot on Friday, yes? Yes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe, aw, you should go toooo! New Bout of Books Tradition... ;)

      That's good to know! Makes me feel way better about sucking yesterday (I read, like, 20 pages. 20 PAGES. That is not good!) But anyway. Yes. We will rock today! I have already read about 4x as much as yesterday, and it's not even lunchtime!

      Delete
  3. Love and Friendship is so funny. It is up there with my favourites. I'm dying to get my hands on some Tove Jansson just because, well, MOOMINS.

    I'm failing massively with the reading (damn job and damn social life suddenly turning up this week). Here's to a good day reading had by all, yes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MOOMINSSSS! I thought I'd have to look FOREVER and also EVERYWHERE to find any of her books for grown ups, so I was a bit chuffed to find that one!

      Hahaha, what is going onnnn?! My social life always always turns up when I'm supposed to be doing something else. It's UNCANNY. But yes. There's still the weekend, and besides, we are NOT STRESSING this anyway, are we? We are not.

      Delete
  4. Haha, I saw the photo at the top of this post and was all reading to start typing "I LOVE SCARLETT THOMAS!" but then... you went on to say that I loved Scarlett Thomas... and then I was all "Oh, Laura KNOWS me!"... and then I was all teary.

    *sniffles*

    However, I also nearly cried at the toaster earlier, so I wouldn't worry.

    I DO love The End of Mr Y though! I actually bought one of her other books on Wednesday and I'm super excited about reading it :)

    ReplyDelete